Thursday 26 December 2013

A history of Airfix HO/OO AFV kits - part 12 - 1970

Two kits were released this year.  The RAF Refuelling Set contained a two fuel tankers - a Bedford QL and an AEC Matador 6x6.  Both useful in their intended forms, these again offered excellent conversion possibilities.
A standard Bedford QL tanker.
An equally standard Matador tanker.
A generic lorry based on the 6x6 Matador - less an axle!
The second release in this year was a very 'modern' subject - the Leopard tank.  This has the dubious distinction of being one of the few Airfix AFV kits I have never actually built.  That said, from what I've seen it seems a good representation of the real deal.
Once again I don't have one to hand (though there is an unbuilt kit lurking in a box somewhere and another in need of much TLC), so I am grateful to Paul at Plastic Warriors for the photo of the box, and Ion at Archduke Piccolo for the pic of his splendidly battle-weary looking Leo.

4 comments:

Paul Foster said...

Now that I think about it I could do with Airfix Leo's now!

Thanks to old issues of Military Modelling I will never run out of ideas on how to convert all these RAF vehicles.

Nice post.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

How much does that Leopard owe to the Panther - never noticed before..!

Tim Gow said...

Paul Foster
I'm sure you have a few conversions still to do!

Tim Gow said...

Steve the Wargamer
The designers certainly consulted some Wehrmacht veterans.